April 6, 2009

Worlds Collide

I have been thinking about this post for awhile, but my friend, Sarah, beat me to it. Actually, and this is really what this post comes down to, she's not really a friend in the conventional sense. We've never met. We've never even spoken on the phone She's someone I've come to know solely because she blogs. But I know a lot about her. I may even know more about her than I do those people with whom I've actually shared a beer or two. The same can be said about Jason, Whit, Matt, Tanis, Chag, Chicky and a whole host of others (lest some think I'm forgetting them, TwoBusy and Tony I've many beers with). I've shared with them their ups and downs; they've offered their congrats on the births of my kids and even had a virtual surprise birthday for me when I turned 40. It's a very odd community, this group of writers who fall into the realm of parent bloggers - however, we prefer just bloggers because we are not defined solely by the fact that we have kids - that is just one facet of who we are.

I started blogging in May 2005 just before Little Dubs was born. It was a way for me to get what was in my head out there and share it with some close friends. But I kept my blogging fairly low-key - at the time my immediate family was not privy to any of it (and most still aren't). What I found as I wrote more and read other blogs was that I wasn't alone - there were a host of fathers and fathers-to-be dealing with the same issues. And we were dealing with it all in the same warped fashion: humor, pop culture references and a general what the fuck? attitude. It was so refreshing to hear down-to-earth, over-a-few-beers conversation rather than the "it's so wonderful and beautiful" claptrap other blogs were pushing. Yes, it is wonderful and great and awe-inspiring but it's also "holy shit" and "I'm not ready for this" and "Whoa this is all happening too damn fast" too. Besides, what I also wanted to hear from these people - these bloggers who were becoming more or less friends - was what they were into as far as music, TV, movies, video games, etc. And since we were passionate about other things besides our kids, we bagan blogging about vacations and sports and wine and books and video games.

Then I joined Facebook. And Twitter. It's really hard to stay off the radar once you've joined these time sucks. But then again, when I joined I think I already subconsciously decided I no longer wanted to remain under the radar. I think, all along, what I really wanted was for as many people as possible to read my writing regardless of what I was writing about. But, because of Facebook, lines blur as Sarah put it. Once there was a time I wanted to remain somewhat anonymous; a time when I could write without worrying about someone's feelings or offending their sensibilities. Now? Meh. Now people I know can go through my archives here or they can hit DadCentric and read posts about racist tastebuds, contemplating a vasectomy or my thoughts on manadatory HPV vaccines. Or they can see the penis slide video I posted. It's all out there now; you can't put the toothpaste back in the tube. I'm not sure who's reading but I have seen some upticks on my Statcounter from places like Weymouth and Quincy so, "Hey guys! It's okay, you can comment. Whaddaya think of that penis slide?"

And now for something completely different: I'm having my first giveaway. Yes, after nearly four years of blogging, a PR company has found me worthy enough to give something away. Come back later this week for my review of Backyard Baseball '10 and a chance to win a copy of this newly released (March 31) Wii game. This review will also be cross-posted at DadCentric and we will give away a copy over there, too. Now if I can just get Callaway or Nike to offer me some stuff I'd be golden.

9 opined:

TwoBusy said...

I don't know about you, but I'm feeling a need for more beers.

Jason said...

I'm telling you: DadCentric trip to Vegas, Blog World Expo, October.

James said...

I am limited to my blogs (I don't do facebook or Twitter, ect) but I have not kept it from anyone I know, therefore have to watch closely what I say or even complain about.

I feel the need to filter what issues I am dealing with for fear of having them out there to all I know. It would be much different if I had an anonymous blog.

Of course that's not to say I have any issue to deal with...

Nice post.

Always Home and Uncool said...

We need to converge on a New Britain Rock Cats game this year. I'm many beers behind.

Chicky Chicky Baby said...

Yes, strange indeed. But also sort of social. Demented and sad, but social.

TwoBusy said...

Props to Chicky Chicky Baby for daring to quote The Judd.

Chag said...

But it's so nice and warm when you're off the radar.

Whit said...

Mmm, beer.

I'm always surprised when family members tell me they read something on my blog- not that they actually read it, but that they figured out how to turn on the internet.

Sarah, Goon Squad Sarah said...

We should fix that part about not actually having had beers together. Don't you think?

 
Template Courtesy of Blogging Secret