May 5, 2011

What's the gift for a Sixth Blogiversary?

Dude, I'm floored. What's that you say? Oh, well, you see, Sunday marks the sixth anniversary of this here little corner of the blogosphere. Six years. Though, admittedly, it hasn't been a full six years - I was on sabbatical hiatus just couldn't write to save my life for the better part of a year. But, nonetheless, that's like forever in Internet time. In an age when information comes and goes and changes and comes again in 140 characters or facebook updates, taking the time to construct multi-paragraph posts seems, at times, to be a herculean task. So to do so for nigh on six years I think is something of an achievement and, if you don't mind, I will engage is some brief self-congratulation: Yay, me.

(Hey, don't get carried away there.)

Ok, that's enough. I don't know who's still following this blog after all this time. I know there are a few of you still out there, waiting with bated breath (please...please brush your teeth people) for me to type in the Blogger box. I appreciate it, I really do. I was looking at my blogrolll the other day and I think more than half of the bloggers listed there have long since stopped blogging or blog about as frequently as I do as of late. Honestly, it's hard. I admire those out there that blog daily or almost daily - that's a shit-ton of writing right there. But, in the words of our President, let me be clear: I admire the writers who are writing, not shilling this product or that. I don't care if you're giving away the latest Maclaren or 15 metric tons of M&M's, you're not writing, you're a paid shill. This is honest writing and I applaud Ron for putting it out there. Hell, you want honest, incredible writing? Pick any of the writers at (shameless self-promotion coming) DadCentric and you'll find some of the best writers I've ever come across. Bar none. Anyway, it's hard and anyone who says differently doesn't know what the hell they're talking about. And I'm angry that I'm having such a hard time doing it. ::gets off sopabox::

Getting back to our regularly scheduled programming: six years! That means Li'l Dubs is not so little anymore. ::sniff, sniff:: He'll be six. And his younger brother will enter the Terrible Threes (don't let anyone fool you, two is not nearly as bad as three - not even in the same ballpark). And their sister is four. Four?!? Can I get a big WTF?!? Whoop, whoop! When Kara suggested I start blogging (because she was, at the time, reading mr. nice guy who is an amazing and hilarious writer, but no longer blogging there) I thought "Okay, what a great way to come to grips with the enormity of becoming a father - let's just put it all out there for everyone to see. There's nothing anxiety-inducing about that..." So I did. And here I...we...are.

I very rarely go back and read anything I've written. Oh, I go back and look at my Top 100 Albums from time to time (those would be somewhere in 2006 - start looking around August if you're interested) because those are fun to look at. But there's a series of posts I go back and read every year. And every time I read them I say to myself that I don't need to read them anymore, that what's in the past should stay there. I don't need to read them because all is right with that part of the world. But I read them anyway. Remember what I said about the enormity thing? Yeah, seems like I need that reminder (and a good cry) once a year. If you're so inclined you can read Part One and Part Deux. Those posts are why I blog. Those posts exist because I never could have accurately described that time verbally, in a conversation. The amount of non-sequiturs alone would have made people think I was crazy(-ier?).

Well, I think that's it for now. I wanted to talk about how this past weekend was like some Walt Disney/Mario Puzo mash-up with a fairytale wedding opening the weekend and Osama bin Laden (or as I like to call him Osama bin Dusted) sleeping with the fishes a la Luca Brasi closing it out. But, damn that's been done to death (ba-dum-dum). So, as the kids today like to say, L8R.

3 opined:

TwoBusy said...

::pops champagne cork::

Always Home and Uncool said...

::passes out cigars::

Kara said...

wheee! you're back. If you can do it, I guess I can too (maybe). I had such bad writer's block I took up marathon running and went to grad school all so I could have a good excuse for not writing anything!

 
Template Courtesy of Blogging Secret